Saturday, August 21, 2010

Homemade tamales



Tamales are one of my favourite foods of all time. They are so light and fresh and I can taste every ingredient in them. Timmer makes them with fresh corn niblets - not from a can - and that adds alot of texture to the dough. He puts all kinds of different fillings in them. Sometimes it is cheese, cheese and green peppers, peppers and onions, chicken, beef, pork, and combinations thereof.

The ones above were chicken and cheese and onion. They were wrapped in real corn husks saved from the summer corn season and frozen in a Ziploc baggie. The tamales were steamed in the pressure cooker, which cuts down on the cooking time hugely!

The salsa was made from scratch. A green semi-hot salsa was made from jalapenis and tomatillos. The tomatoes are from our little vegetable garden and the tomatillos were from the locally-grown farmers market. Also served with steak (more on the beef in our freezer in a future post), tomato & tomatillo salad with homemade lime & organic olive oil and cilantro and garlic dressing, and organic apple juice. :)

That's the point of all of this: Timmer goes to the effort of making all of this fresh, local, good tasting and good for us food because otherwise I would be eating food from a jar or a box. I want sugar and salt and fat all the time. That is why my body craves. But the only way to re-train and re-learn how to eat well and eat good foods is to give my body foods that are good for it and foods that I love each and every meal.

My body, and my brain, like it.

And tamales are definitely one of those foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment